Friday, September 11, 2009

Something within me wanted me to continue looking at a documentary tonight regarding 9/11. It's hard to think that eight years have elapsed since that fateful day. Yet, the emotions were again stirred except tonight I felt numb. The sadness was just too great. Even when the documentary was over, I felt glued to the television as if there was something of import that would go past me unnoticed. Then, the caption appeared concerning one unsung hero. His name was Rick Serola and this is briefly his story.

Rick believed that many of the key buildings in the World Trade center lacked proper security. His fears were realized at the 1993 bombing. After this, he was adamant about security at the WTC and worked diligently towards that end. At Morgan Stanley, he organized and supervised the frequent fire drills of over 2,000 of their employees. Rick was sure that an air attack was inevitable, since ground security had been beefed up. His dear friend and security consultant agreed wholeheartedly.

Morgan Stanley occupied floors forty four through the seventies, and on that fateful day, Rick was as dedicated to the safety of his people as he was to his platoon in Vietnam. Then a hero and again on 9/11 Rick was to prove unequivocally that the love he held for his co-workers, all 2,o00 plus of them, and his unswerving duty to protect them was not unlike his heroic actions decades before. Against the genuine concern of others for his own safety, Rick made sure that everyone that he could possibly reach made it out that tower, going back six times through different floors to make sure noone was left behind.

All but six employees did not survive, and so, too Rick. He died a hero. And today I join the families of Morgan Stanley to honor Rick Serola, a true American hero. As I look at his widow on tv, I feel the pain she bears; yet, I feel the pride she holds. And as I think of Rick, I also think of all the other heroes--firemen, policemen, office workers who helped others, strangers who helped strangers and I honor them all. And I also honor my young daughter who braved the carnage to offer her help while I sat across the other bank of the Hudson River wondering where she was and what had happened to her.

To Rick and all those who are no longer with us, our heartfelt thanks for the sacrifices you made and for the great heroism you exhibited. And our love and prayers go to your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment